Ads 468x60px

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Paul Is Here!!

Paul Peter Stanley Wilson
08/12/09, 4:22 pm, 8 lbs 2 oz, 20 in

Well, I went in Wednesday morning to be induced. I called them at 7:30 and they said "come any time!" After we all got showered and ate and stuff we got there around 10.

I asked them if they could break my water first and see what happens with that before they start me on the pitocin. They said that breaking the water is something they always do first but for first time moms they start them on the drip right away instead of giving it time. They said they would be willing to give me an hour to walk around and stuff after breaking my water to see what happens.

They broke my water at 10:30 and I was 3 cm. I walked around for about 5 minutes and I already started having contractions. I didn't like standing through the contractions so I returned to the bed. From the very start my contractions were already coming 5 minutes apart, steadily. They were also slowly getting more painful.

They came in to check me at 11:30 and I had already gone 1 cm! I was really excited! So they said they would give me another hour and start the pitocin after that. Over the next two hours I went 2 more centimeters, on my own! By this point my contractions were coming closer together and getting a lot more painful. I made the decision to get an epidural, not because of the intensity of the pain but because they were so close together (1-2 mins apart) and I wasn't able to really get a break in between. I was 6 cm when they gave me the epidural. Also around this time I started to feel really nauseous and threw up badly. NOT fun!

Well, the epidural didn't all! The contractions were getting more and more intense and really close together. I was thinking "why am I feeling everything??" They asked me if I wanted to use the laughing gas and I said "sure! Why not?!" She told me that it doesn't take away the pain but it more takes ME away from IT. Well, I really didn't care for it. I was still in pain and it only made me feel like I was hammered for a minute. I don't think I would use it again. After I got the epidural they checked me (about 45 mins) and I was 7 cm. Suddenly the contractions were less than a minute apart and I was starting to feel like I could push. 15 minutes later they checked me and all I had was just a lip of a cervix. I went from 7 to 10 in about 15 minutes!! Insane! (No wonder it was so painful! lol)

They let me start pushing at 4:08 (my mom was keeping track.) After a few pushes they realised his heart rate was dropping when I pushed. So they used the suction thing to help guide him out. The doctor said later that she only used it for about half a contraction. He came out super fast after that. He was born at 4:22. I only pushed for 14 minutes! I couldn't believe it. Within 6 hours my precious baby boy was born! I thought it was going to take a lot longer than that but maybe genetics does have something to do with it! (My mom never had a labor longer then 6 hours with 4 kids.)

All in all it was a good experience! And I never had to be induced! Looking back it wasn't that bad. I would do it again in a heartbeat!


Becca said...

YAY, HUGE conrgats to you both :-)

Morgan said...

Thank you!!